10 February 2014

Getting comfortable in my skin again...

Way back in early January 2013 I outlined my plan for a brand new fit and trim me.  So that didn't really happen.  As you'll know if you've read last month's post "The Big News", 2013 was a year of introspection, decision making and finally some big changes.  But I was fairly despondent for a lot of the year while I figure stuff out, so it's probably not a huge surprise that the weight loss and fitness regime fell by the wayside.  It also added to my despondency - despite not really making any changes, I was upset that I seemed to be putting on weight rather than losing it!

So by September/October 2013 I was hovering around about the 70kg mark.  Not overweight for my height (according to my BMI anyway), but near the border.

In early November, when I made some decisions and embarked on major life changes, I also - suddenly and without planning - kicked myself back on the road to being comfortable in my skin.  I am not of the opinion that skinny = happy by any means, and I don't care what anyone else looks like, but for me, being 10kgs heavier than I feel like I should be meant that I really felt uncomfortable in my own body.

Anyway, since November I have been running on the beach most days/evenings with my dog, and it's like I've suddenly found the exercise my body wants to be doing.  I've also discovered (in my own half-assed 'amateur' way) mindfulness, which has contributed both to my enjoyment of my beach running, and my attention to eating.

I realised that a lot of the time I was eating because it was the socially acceptable time to have a meal, or because I was bored, but not really because I was hungry.  Since starting to be more mindful about my eating, I'm paying more attention to my body, and trying to eat when I'm actually hungry.  I'm vegan, and do eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, but the 4pm call to the snack box was becoming more and more regular, and a "half now half later" packet of nuts never quite worked like that in reality.  I do like potato chips (crisps) as well, and had started eating those more often than was good for me.

The other impact of my separation was that I have started to drink a lot less. My ex is not a heavy drinker, but he does like wine and beer pretty much every night, and I would have a glass because it was there.  Now I've started thinking about that more, and I no longer feel any sort of obligation to have a glass because it's offered, and I really don't miss it.  If I do have a drink, it's usually on the weekend, and ususally vodka and diet coke. 

I still have my vices - diet coke being one - and I still enjoy food, I'm noticing the physical effects of my change in lifestyle and I definitely feel more comfortable in my skin.  And for me, that's what it's really all about.

PS - who could resist a beach walk with this scenery?!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely people leave comments!